3—Group reading and retrieval
Ask the students to work in groups to complete reading the texts Miracle on Separation Street, Bungawitta and The First Lakatoi.
Refer to the retrieval chart and the question of how different orientations use different techniques to capture readers’ attention and ‘hook’ them into the story.
Ask the students to work in groups to discuss the text that most excites and holds their interest and give reasons why.
Ask the students to comment on an aspect of the texts they have read and add to the retrieval chart.
They could begin by:
- asking a question
- re-telling a section of the story
- using a quote from the story
- stating a fact they found interesting
- telling what they found humorous
- giving a description
- listing five interesting words from any of the stories.